Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Big Day

Well, today was the day. We got to the hospital at 6:00, did some paper work and waited some. I knew I had to do a urine test before I went into surgery, so the waiting was a bit unpleasant, as I had to go to the bathroom the whole time. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long. I had to take everything off and change into a fashionable combination of hospital gown, hospital socks, and a little hat thing. I'm sure I looked great.

Steve came in and hung out while I waited for the anesthesiologist. I got asked a bunch of questions and then the anesthesiologist gave me the "joy juice". That kicked in pretty quickly as they took me to the operating room. Then I remember being told to breath deeply into a mask. Then I remember waking up and a nurse telling me I was done. Apparently the doctor talked to me about how the procedure went, but I don't remember any of it. He also spoke with Steve. I'll be going back on Monday to get checked out. The goal is for me to be able to bend 90 degrees by then. I'll start working on movement tomorrow.

They gave me percacet for the pain and said I could also take some Advil if I needed any more help. We got home at 11:30, I had a snack and took the painkillers. I've pretty much been alternating between watching TV and taking naps. I'm not in too much pain as long as I'm not moving too much. Getting in and out of bed is very painful, but walking with the crutches actually isn't too bad. I'm anticipating the pain being worse tomorrow morning, but I'm hoping it starts to improve after that. I called Lora to see how the track team was doing. The 4x8 came in 2nd, which is about what we were expecting. A couple of them also ran their fasted legs of the season, so that's good. I don't know how anyone else did because Lora went home with her parents after the 4x8. Hopefully she intends to spend the rest of the evening studying for the AP exam.

I have a great piece of equipment velcroed to my leg that continually pumps cold water. All we have to do is keep the cooler filled with ice and water. Much more convenient than changing out ice bags. I haven't taken anything off to look at my actual knee yet. I'm not really in a hurry to do so, since I'm anticipating that it looks pretty nasty. The doctor showed me the pictures of my surgery when he spoke with me, but I don't remember that. Steve saw them, but I'll have to wait until Monday. I'll have to see if I can keep a couple. Pictures of the inside of a knee are always cool to have around a biology classroom.

Tomorrow I start working on recovery. I'll be letting you know how it goes.

No comments: